Sweet potato chips
Try this one.
It will change your life.
A few years ago I started testing different ways to use the beloved sweet potato.
In all reality, everything that can be done to, and with this fine root vegetable is delicious.
On several occasions I have tried sweet potato “chips” and although yummy, the texture and crunch was not quite right for me.
Through many tests I have discovered the secrets to wonderful and clean chips and so now you have them as well….
From a nutritional perspective, sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, fibre, beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese and potassium.
They are also filling, cheap and super simple to prepare. This recipe is a cinch!!
INGREDIENTS – serves 4 as a meal accompaniment
- 1 sweet potato, peeled
- good quality olive oil
- sea salt/himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 tbls herb mix (optional) – the one I use is below though you could use/make whatever you like here
The success of these chips comes down to their preparation.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius
- Chop sweet potato into approximately 1cm-wide chips
- Spread evenly onto baking tray
- Drizzle olive oil over the chips
- Cover with a few good cracks of sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- Sprinkle herb/spice mix over the top (optional)
- Get your (clean) hands into the tray and mix to ensure consistent coverage
- Bake for approximately 35-45 minutes though best to check on them at the 30-minute mark
- The longer you leave them in the oven the crunchier they will become so this is up to your preference however be careful not to burn them
- Serve as an accompaniment to a meal OR enjoy a small bowl as a nourishing treat
TIP – turn the oven off when the chips are almost to your desired texture and leave them in there. They will still be warm and crisping up!!
These chips are wonderful when served on a cooler night and perhaps in place of regular potato.
Calories – 123 (vs 319 for the same amount of traditional hot chips)
Serving size – 130 grams
http://www.spiceandco.com.au/shop_g-s_sachets.html – great quality Greek herb & spice mix