Raw Cacao Protein Balls
I have done the hard work here testing; and sampling; various protein ball combinations. It was really tough….
What I decided was that I was seeking a not-too-sweet option packed with protein and good fats. Only a few ingredients, a simple recipe, NO COOKING or BAKING and something that kept well in the fridge or freezer.
This recipe has been adapted from The Healthy Chef who is a wonderful resource for all things clean!
These balls are gluten-free, dairy-free, delicious and the most popular recipe on this website so clearly others agree with me! Anything that can be made so quickly and with such wonderful and natural ingredients gets a big tick from me and this recipe is on high rotation in my house…
Raw Cacao Protein Balls - makes 25 small balls Gluten-free / Refined sugar-free
- 175g raw almonds
- 175g raw walnuts
- 15 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao
- 1/2 tablespoon natural vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 scoops protein powder of your choice (pea, brown rice, whey)
- 1 tablespoon black or white chia seeds
- Place nuts, cacao, cinnamon and protein powder into the food processor
- Blend until the mixture looks crumbly
- Add in the dates, vanilla extract & chia seeds processing again until the mixture begins to come together
- You may need to scrape down the sides of the processor to ensure that all of the mixture is processed
- If you notice that the mixture is not soft enough to form a soft ball, add a splash of water and continue to process
- Once processed, form into 25 small balls
- These balls can be stored in the fridge or freezer for as long as 4 weeks (the freezer is the best!)
If you have not yet had the pleasure of sampling Medjool dates, you simply must! In my opinion these are the ONLY dates and of course the fresher, the better! These incredible little bites are all natural and incredibly sweet; in many recipes I use dates and no other sweetener is needed! You should not have any issues finding them and I can tell you that the Natural Delights brand is sold at Harris Farm Markets.
Plant or animal based proteins, go with what you feel like. Should you choose whey – go with a clean and unprocessed Whey Protein Isolate (WPI), the options are varied!
Would love to hear how you go with these… and whether you find the self-control to not eat them all in a week!