Meatballs are a crowd-pleasing, kid-friendly and easy favourite in homes all over.
Sometimes containing mince meat and mostly including eggs and flour, they can also be heavy and laden with unnecessary additives.
How do we make clean meatballs then? My first tip to you is to use lamb!
And not just any lamb though ask your local butcher to mince some diced lamb for you. A HUGE flavour and quality difference, absolutely worth it.
After that we will use fresh herbs and Greek-inspired ingredients for flavour.
For this midweek (or any other day) meal idea this is what you need….
INGREDIENTS – serves 2-3
- 300g lamb mince (from diced lamb)
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp goats cheese, crumbled (delicious and a binding ingredient!)
- salt & pepper
- splash of olive oil for cooking
- Toss nuts in a frypan (no oil) on low heat for a few minutes until golden
- Heat oil in a frypan on medium-high heat
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Make small balls with your hands – roughly 12
- Once frypan is heated, add meatballs to pan
- Cook on each side for several minutes until browned and cooked through
- Remove from heat and set aside
These would be perfect with a simple tomato salad (see below) and some couscous if you are looking for a more filling meal.
The meatballs will store, once cooled, in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days.
Simple tomato salad – serves 1
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Combine all ingredients and toss
Enjoy these clean, gluten-free balls of goodness!!