Lamb Meatball & Couscous Salad with Yoghurt Dressing
Meatballs are a crowd-pleasing, delicious, nutritious and easy favourite. Sometimes containing mince meat and mostly including eggs and flour, they can also be heavy and laden with unnecessary additives.
How do we make clean meatballs then? My first tip to you is to use lamb!
And not just any lamb though ask your local butcher to mince some diced lamb for you. There’s an enormous flavour and quality difference, one that’s absolutely worth a few more dollars. After that solid foundation we use fresh herbs and Mediterranean-inspired ingredients for flavour.
I must admit I’ve never been a huge fan of meatballs though I realised that’s because I’m not a fan of mince and who could blame me!? When it comes from a quality cut of the lamb though it’s an entirely different story and one which changed the way I felt about the humble meatball. On the flip side, creating something like meatballs is fast and easy, they freeze well and if you make double, can be deliciously added to tomorrow’s lunch. So cook once, eat twice = awesomeness!
As these meatballs are packed full of flavour, I wanted them to shine, supporting as opposed to overpowering them with the salad. A few delicious ingredients that ring true to Mediterranean flavours, you could almost pretend you’re away on the Grecian coastline with each bite.
This recipe is an ideal Sunday night or midweek meal idea and I have a feeling you’re going to love it…..
Lamb Meatball & Couscous Salad with Yoghurt Dressing - serves 2
- 2 cups pearl couscous
- 200g lamb mince
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons goat’s cheese, crumbled
- Salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil for cooking (+ 2 teaspoons to serve)
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, washed
- 1/3 cup Greek yoghurt, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
What you do
- Cook couscous on medium-high heat at a ratio of of 1:1.5 with 1 teaspoon of oil for 10 minutes until soft
- Drain, rinse & set aside
- Heat oil in a frypan on medium-high heat
- Combine lamb mince, mint, rosemary, goat’s cheese, pine nuts, salt & pepper making tight small balls with your hands
- Once frypan is heated, add meatballs to the pan
- Cook on each side for several minutes until browned & cooked through
- Remove from heat & set aside
- Combine dressing ingredients until mixed well
- Serve spinach, couscous, remaining oil, meatballs & yoghurt dressing immediately
This recipe is part of my 7 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan eBook – exclusive to members of my tribe. To join, head on over to my new site and when it launches in a few weeks you’ll receive an automatic notification and the meal plan eBook straight to your inbox!
Make this dish. Enjoy it and share your comments below and your creations on Instagram using #nfeats so I can see your talent too!
xxx Nadia xxx